Previously on Ladies…
This weekend is the Steelers bye week, which means I should be free to do whatever I want today, I don’t have to watch football all day. And really, am I not a cosmopolitan lady who can find a way to fill a Sunday with something a bit more meaningful than the Dolphins-Browns game?
Just think of everything you could be doing with your bye week:
- Do your Christmas shopping! And not just because the bargains are terrific this time of year. Come December when the NFL playoff hunt is in full swing and the malls are at their craziest, you’ll be able loaf around on the sofa every weekend guilt-free while all those sad sacks are trying to catch scores on Best Buy displays.
- It’s October. Think of all the pumpkins just waiting to be gutted.
- Volunteer – People tend to shy away from volunteering worried about the time commitment involved, or they just don’t know where to start. Poppycock. Volunteer Match is a great place to find puppies that need rescued, old people that need fed, and riverbanks that need cleaned. (Or as my boyfriend once called it, “Things you do to because you are filled with upper-middle class suburban white girl guilt.”)
- See Blade Runner: The Final Cut (LA and NYC only)
- Go outside! It misses you. It wonders why it you weren’t out there during the summer, rolling in the grass (Excuse: the pre-season gets earlier and earlier) and why you’re presently not out frolicking through the falling leaves. Plus, as it turns out the rumors are true: reality is slightly clearer than HDTV.
- Eat a salad. God knows your digestive tract will appreciate a one-day reprieve from the typical assault of fried and/or alcoholic nonsense.
- Visit a museum. Because. You know. Culture. And stuff.
- If you insist on staying home, a Sunday afternoon is a good time to catch up on your Netflix and the Tivo you’ve already bloated with four episodes of “Gossip Girl”. (That naughty Chuck Bass is so evil!)
- Head of the Charles – Rowing’s premiere fall race (Oct 20-21, Boston only)
- Visit your non-football watching friends. Most likely they’re having a tremendously exciting afternoon of “Scene It” with a box of Cheez-Its and wine spritzers. You probably have a whole plethora of pals who think you lose your mind every fall and would love to see you.
- Plan “frisky time” with your mate. Having a full afternoon free for sex can do wonders for a relationship that has been severally strained since the time you begged off saying, “Hold on, I want to make sure I catch Olbermann at halftime.”
- Watch baseball. That’s still going, right?