|Homemade Roasted Salsas: Football Foodie Quick Hit || ||
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins
- About a pound or so of Roma tomatoes, seeds removed
- 3 tomatillos, paper leaf outside removed
- 3-4 jalapenos, seeds removed
- 1 onion
- 3-4 scallions
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- juice from 3 limes
- 1 bunch of cilantro, divided
- 1-2 teaspoons salt, depending on taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoons ground ancho chili (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper (optional)
- After you’ve removed the seeds from the tomatoes and the jalapenos, slice the tomatillos in half and roughly chop the onion.
- Lay on a foil lined pan and either grill or heat under a hot broiler.
- Grill until the tomatoes have wilted and you have a good char on all of the vegetables. Set aside to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Toss in a blender or food processor (or chop by hand) the roasted vegetables, the scallions, half a bunch of cilantro and 1-2 teaspoons of salt.
- Chop to desired consistency.
- In a large skillet, heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil. Spoon in a small amount of salsa. Watch it crackle and pop, and once it’s simmering all over add a small amount more. Repeat the process until all of the salsa is simmering in the pan,
- Cook until thickened, stirring frequently. After a few minutes, you’ll have a simply amazing thick salsa.
- Once the salsa has thickened, set it aside to cool.
- Chop the remaining cilantro and add to the salsa.
- Decide how much heat you want in your chip adornment and try to get a feeling for how many people are going to want spicy salsa and how many are going to want mild. A smart bet is to just divide the batch in half and then add ground ancho chili to the mild and ground chipotle for the spicy to taste.
- If you know you want super hot salsa, use a chipotle pepper packed in adobe sauce. I just prefer ground chipotle for salsa because it’s easier to control the heat.
Salsa is great just from the blender without the extra steps if you don't want them.
Recipe by sarah sprague at http://sarahsprague.com/2011/09/21/homemade-roasted-salsas-football-foodie-quick-hit/